The youth camp held from December 23rd to 26th, 2023 at Mai Halima Girls Secondary School in Mulanje, proved to be a transformative experience for the 195 participants who gathered under the theme of “Self-Awareness.” The event aimed to empower and educate young minds on critical issues such as HIV/AIDS prevention, informed decision-making, and career guidance.
The primary goal of the camp was to foster self-awareness among the youth, equipping them with essential life skills and knowledge to make informed decisions, navigate challenges, and chart a successful future.
1. Interactive Sessions on Self-Awareness: Facilitators led engaging sessions on self-awareness, encouraging participants to explore their strengths, values, and goals.
Activities included self-reflection exercises, group discussions, and team-building games.
2. HIV/AIDS Prevention: Dedicated workshops on HIV/AIDS prevention were conducted to educate participants on the importance of safe practices, breaking stigma, and promoting responsible behaviour. Facilitators employed interactive methods to ensure a comprehensive understanding of the subject.
3. Informed Decision Making: Workshops focused on enhancing decision-making skills, emphasizing critical thinking and considering long-term consequences. Real-life scenarios were presented, encouraging participants to analyse situations and make informed choices.
4. Career Guidance Workshops: Recognizing the importance of career development, expert facilitators provided insights into various career paths, educational opportunities, and the evolving job market. Participants were guided on setting realistic career goals and developing strategies to achieve them.
5. Social Activities: To foster a sense of community and friendship, the camp included recreational activities such as team sports, talent shows, and cultural exchanges. These activities provided a platform for participants to relax, bond, and share experiences.
Feedback from the participants was overwhelmingly positive, with many expressing gratitude for the valuable insights gained during the camp. Participants particularly appreciated the open and inclusive environment that allowed for personal growth and self-discovery.
The youth camp left a lasting impact on the participants, equipping them with practical skills, knowledge, and a heightened sense of self-awareness. The information imparted on HIV/AIDS prevention, decision-making, and career guidance will undoubtedly contribute to the participants’ personal development and well-being.
The Youth Camp of December 2023 successfully achieved its objectives of promoting self-awareness among the 195 participants. By addressing critical issues such as HIV/AIDS prevention, informed decision-making, and career guidance, the camp has played a pivotal role in shaping the future of these young minds. As the participants return to their communities, the ripple effect of their newfound knowledge and self-awareness is expected to create positive change and contribute to the development of a more informed and empowered generation.